Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Stehley? Staley? Staly? Google tricks for variant spellings.

I have a 3rd great grandfather by the name of Gottlieb Stahley.  This is the kind of name that can give a genealogist agita.  There are probably a dozen different ways to spell both his first and last names.  Most genealogy sites have a wildcard function that eases the pain somewhat.  But what if you are searching on Google?  Well, the trick I use is to run a search like this:

Gottlieb|Gotlieb|Godlieb|Gottleib|Gotleib|Godleib Stehley|Stahley|Stehly|Stahly|Staley|Staly

The pipes mean "or," so the above string will find every combination of the listed names...thirty-six in all.  I don't have time to run thirty-six separate Google searches, so this is a great little shortcut.

By the way, this particular search helped me break through a huge brick wall.  I found Gottlieb in a list of headstone transcriptions, which further yielded a bonanza of information on that branch of my family

No comments:

Post a Comment